Frequently Asked Questions

Home/Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions2022-07-21T12:21:57-04:00
What are the white chips in my water?2022-07-21T12:08:10-04:00

Click “Water System Info” for more information.

What’s that pink stuff I my bathroom?2022-07-21T12:07:48-04:00

Click “Water System Info” for more information.

What do I do if I have a sewer backup?2022-07-21T12:08:10-04:00

Call the Utilities Department and we will send someone to evaluate the situation and inform you if you need to call a plumber.

How do I get the utility bill changed over to my name?2022-07-21T12:09:19-04:00

The Barnegat Tax Department handles all billing and account maintenance. If you are purchasing a home, check with whomever is handling your closing as that may be part of the closing process. If not, please call the Tax Department at 609-698-0080 to inquire.

Where do I pay my bill?2022-07-21T12:07:48-04:00

You can pay your bill either in person at the Township Tax Office or online by clicking “”Pay Your Bill” on our homepage or the Barnegat Township’s homepage. Personal checks, Visa & Master Card are accepted or you can arrange for direct-deposit with the Tax Office. (Please note that all billing transactions are handled through the Tax Office so any inquiries must be directed to them.)

When are water/sewer bills sent out and due?2022-07-21T12:07:48-04:00

Water/sewer bills are sent out on April 1, July 1, October 1 & January 1 and are due by the 15th of that month.

How much does sewer cost?2022-07-21T12:09:05-04:00

Sewer is a fixed rate charge of $107 per quarter.

How much do you charge for water?2022-07-21T12:09:05-04:00

Water is charged per 1,000 gallons. Click “Water System Info” to see our fee schedule.

How do you read my meter?2022-07-21T12:09:19-04:00

All water meters are equipped with a radio transmitter that sends the read to a computer as the meter technician drives down the block.

How often do you read the meters?2022-07-21T12:09:05-04:00

Meter reading occurs every quarter in March, June, September & December.

How do I find out if there are water/sewer utilities available in my area?2022-07-21T12:08:24-04:00

Call the Barnegat Utilities Department and inquire. Please have your address and/or block/lot (if an empty lot) available for reference.

I live in the Pebble Beach area of town. Where do I pay my bill?2022-07-21T12:08:24-04:00

Pebble Beach is serviced by the Waretown MUA, therefore, your payment would need to be submitted to them.

What do I do if I have a water leak?2022-07-21T12:08:10-04:00

During normal business hours, call the Utilities Department at 609-698-6185 and request that your water service be turned off (is necessary) until you can have the leak fixed.

After hours, call the Barnegat Police Department at 609-698-5000 and speak to a dispatcher. He/she will dispatch “on- call” personnel to turn your water off (if necessary).

NOTE: Barnegat Township only services to the curb. Any leak that occurs from the curb to the residence is the homeowner’s responsibility to repair.

Is there fluoride in the water?2022-07-21T12:08:00-04:00

No, we do not add fluoride to the water.

Do we have hard water?2022-07-21T12:07:48-04:00

No. The recommended limits by the State of New Jersey are: upper limit = 250mg/l and lower limit = 50mg/l. The average hardness in our system is 62mg/l.

Where does our water come from?2022-07-21T12:07:48-04:00

Our water comes from an underground aquifer. Click “Water System Info” for more information.

What are your business hours?2022-07-21T12:07:35-04:00

Our business hours are Monday-Friday, 7:30am – 3:30pm.

Go to Top